Friday, February 25, 2011

Self Publishing....Yes? Or YIKES!?

I'm going to go with YIKES.




You were expecting a serious post?

Sorry.

I am NOT saying that authors who self-publish made the wrong choice. No way, no how.
We all share the dream of publication, of seeing our amazing covers with our names in bold print splashed across the bookshelves. However any of us get there, that's awesome.

I just started reading a self-published book, purchased in support of the writer who is a family member of a close friend. I was excited and I wanted to be a cheerleader and besides, I considered self-publication myself, especially after reading so many articles on it as of late. I wanted to see what it was all about.
Because it couldn't be THAT bad, right?

I'm not bashing the writer. The idea was original, creating its own sub-genre which, interestingly enough, was just blogged about by the great Talli Roland today. But from the first page, I understood why this particular writer went over working for an agent and opted to self-publish.
A Prologue AND two words repeated at least six times in only two paragraphs. On the first page!

The story seems to center mostly on his love for his wife(who he addresses by name, every. Time. He speaks.)which would be great(not the name part)if that's what the theme of the book was...but it wasn't. It was a murder mystery and in the first few chapters, I learned more about the MC's thirty year marriage to his wife and how 'lucky' he was than I did about the creepy mystery that needed to be solved.
Not to mention, a forty year old man who frequents the term 'crud nuts' as a curse word...well.
Really?
Kind of hokey. Just a bit. Or a lot. Just sayin.

I know that this author attempted the agent route. No dice. So he did it on his own. And I can't help but wonder if that's truly the way to go if you can't handle the rejections or the criticism or something.

I don't know about you, but I would rather have someone tell me when something I write isn't going to sell and WHY and LISTEN to them rather than just say 'screw you' and do it myself.

This is one hundred percent my own opinion and I know that this isn't always the case. It's just my first meeting with self-publication and you know what they say about first impressions.
It scared the option right out of me.
So I'll be looking forward to those rejections, THIS YEAR. And I can't wait.

How about you? What do you think of self-publication? Yay or nay? And why?
Also, if you have a self-published book you know about that will stick my foot in my mouth, please share! I'd love to be proven wrong.

8 comments:

  1. I think self-publication can work sometimes...

    But most of the times, I'm with you. I'd rather go the traditional route for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... I'd rather read stuff published the traditional way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of a few people who have or are considering self publishing for very good reasons. But I don't see me doing it - not at this point anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emm...have to say I agree. I've read two self-published books and whilst the plots were great, there were lots of errors and repeated words. I guess if someone is going down this route they need to have their manuscript proofread first!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends on the genre. I think fiction probably needs the traditional route b/c it is so difficult to write. I've read some self-published fiction and it generally doesn't compare to the traditional route.

    But I've also read some self-published historial, theological and political works that were very good. The main concern of these books was content, not style, since their style (repeat of word :) is more straight forward. It doesn't have to worry with the POV, plot, tension, etc. of fiction.

    Here's a self-published title I'm partial to: http://warrenbaldwinbiblefountain.blogspot.com/search/label/Roaring%20Lions It isn't fiction.

    If it looks interesting to you, I can get you a complimentary copy.

    wb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Creative Blog Award.

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.

    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ponder self-publication every once in awhile, but stories like this make me re-think it. It's not so much the fear of putting out an inferior product, it's more that I don't want to inadvertently fall into that category.

    Not to blow my own whistle, but after working as a copy editor at a paper, I know that I definitely wouldn't have grammar or repetition problems. So I know I could create a polished product - but I think that when you self-publish, no matter how many copy editor friends you have look at something, no matter how great your cover art is, any mistake you make is going to seem so much worse. Plus (putting on my snobby pants) you kind of get lumped in with those who self-publish just because they don't have the discipline to improve their writing to a professional level.

    And yet I still consider it all the time, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would rather go the regular route for the same reasons. If they're turning me down, hopefully there are valid reasons. Like you, I'll just be entering that journey this year, so I have no idea yet what I'm about to meet head-on.

    Good luck on the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete