Tuesday, December 27, 2011

On My Mind...

What an amazing weekend!  After posting my story on Friday, I received compliments from a ton of people who were astounded by the story...and plenty more who kept repeating, 'you should be a writer'.

In answer to them...I'm trying!  Someday, I PROMISE, I will be on a bookshelf at Barnes and Noble.  It's a promise to myself.  One I will keep.

The most important thing that came from that story, however...is that it helped people.  People who are hurting, people who can't move on.  I've recieved messages from family and friends who have shared it with others, people I've never even met...and it's helped them heal, helped them find hope again.

That?  Is exactly what I've always wanted to accomplish with my writing.  I write for myself, of course, but along the way, if I can touch someone who is reaching out...my job is done.  I consider that a success in itself.  I don't have to be famous.  My words matter to someone.

I'm not alone in this process.  Someday, I will have a dedication inside the front and back cover of a story that's all my own, but it will mean nothing without the people who helped me get there.  You know who you are.  I am endlessly grateful for your words of encouragement and inspiration.  My writing friends, even though I've never met you...you are family.  To my family and friends, soon enough, you will see. 

It starts now.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas(My entire family is sick with either a cold or the flu...touche, Santa.)! 

Don't forget to sign up for the No Kiss Blogfest hosted by Frankie on January 2nd!  Third annual! Can't miss it!

What do you hope to accomplish with your writing?  Is it strictly for you?  Or do you write for something greater?  I would love to hear...




3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie. I simply write for the love of the words. For me, the idea of having to be good enough, or my writing meeting a certain criteria - would take all the joy and magic out of the process. Words are a gift to be shared - what appeals to one may be a waste of space to another. As you say, if our words can be of benefit to others in any way - then the purpose of the exercise has already been achieved. I look forward to following my blogger friends with great interest. Words can connect us - no matter the distance or culture. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write to escape. I hope others can escape into my worlds too someday. Sometimes life is stressful or just plain sucks and it's nice to get away for awhile. I'm so glad that post was such a success! How u

    ReplyDelete
  3. grrr...I was going to say... *glares at computer* How uplifting for you to have something so personal touch so many others <3

    ReplyDelete