Sunday, May 6, 2012

Overcoming Fear


"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
 
 



I had some trouble coming up with a topic for today's post...not because I don't have anything writing related to talk about, but because I just don't know where I stand with my writing at the moment.

It took a while to realize what my issue is, and then it hit me...fear.  I've discussed it before and received incredible encouragement from everyone here, but the fact remains:  I am afraid.

I don't doubt my writing-sometimes even the bad days read pretty well when I go back with a fresh eye.  It's more of an 'I'm terrified of the rest of the world reading into my soul' type thing.  I'm afraid of that rejection.

I've had something on my mind for months now, but I knew it would require action on my part in order for anything to come of it.  But as outgoing as I am, there are just some things I can never make myself do because I'm too afraid of the outcome.  In order to protect myself from the worst, I push away any hope for the best.

Two weeks ago, I made a decision.  Life is way too short to be so afraid of the possibility of happiness.  This past Friday, I shoved my fear aside, acted before I could talk myself out of it...and succeeded.  I haven't felt so amazing in YEARS.  I can't stop smiling! 

In my opinion, writing should be this way, too.  What do I have to fear?  If I keep holding myself back, I will never know if I have what it takes to conquer such a silly little thing(in the big scheme of things).
This must change. 
From here on out, I vow to be more confident in my writing and in myself.  There is nothing to fear in a blank page, a full imagination, and a story to tell. 
See that word count on the right side of the screen?  That number is going to go up.  And someday, you will all get to see into my soul...

What do you have to do in order to overcome your fears? 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after looking at many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm definitely pleased I stumbled upon it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back
    regularly!

    My web blog; colmilquetoast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete